Friday, March 29, 2013

Graham Nash/David Crosby (1972)




One of the bigger shocks of my recent vinyl-digging adventures has been the resolute mediocrity of Graham Nash’s solo work; I have such positive Hollies associations in my head that I expected more than his trite and fairly tuneless solitary efforts. At least he writes actual songs here, with a few, like opener “Southbound Train,” even rising above the moon/June/spoon template so familiar from his solo LPs. That’s in contrast to Crosby, who continues to warble idiotic sweet nothings over barren soundscapes that never once resemble a verse, chorus, melody, or iota of songwriting aptitude, all the while thinking he’s some sort of countercultural shaman or something. The man’s utter fraudulence is so risible that I can’t play this without ranting to anyone nearby, even if it’s just the cats. I'm pretty sure they hate Crosby, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment